RPG Superstar Info
Have you dreamt of seeing your creation featured on the cover of an RPG title? Well, now is your chance to break into the industry and have your monster illustrated and published for all to see!
That’s right! RPG Superstar™ is back and bigger than ever! Over a hundred winners! Dozens of prizes! And other surprises along the way!
This year’s theme is Strange and Unusual. That means monsters outside the ordinary, whether they have strange appearances, odd abilities, unusual themes, or something else out of the ordinary, is up to you. And remember, a true Superstar™ can still express a bizarre ability with elegant mechanics.
In total, 137 user-submitted monsters will be selected and published in the upcoming Roll For Combat Battlezoo Bestiary Strange & Unusual! This 160+ page title will feature all of the winning entries plus support materials created by some of the leading RPG designers in the industry.
Open Call Rules
Design a compelling monster for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Second Edition, using the Monster Creation guidelines Gamemastery Guide Monster and Hazard Creation PDF. Do not reference any rules not available in the Pathfinder Reference Document.
Entries must be submitted through the My Monsters page at https://rpgsuperstar.com/creatures/my beginning on September 27, 2021, and must be received by 11:59 PM Eastern time on December 7, 2021.
The first round of voting on all submitted monsters will be performed by the public beginning on December 8, 2021 and ending on January 25, 2022. During public voting, anyone registered on rpgsuperstar.com can vote up to once per entry to help determine the top entries and announced to the public on January 31, 2022.
Once the top entries are announced, private RPG Superstar Judge voting will begin on January 31, 2022 and end on March 7, 2022. The RPG Superstar Judges will determine the final Grand Prize winner, the Platinum winners, the Gold winners, the Silver winners, and the Copper winners.
Monster submissions should be between 500-600 words long, including all text within the stat block entry and the monster lore. You can include a brief extra description of the appearance of your creature in the “art direction” section of the monster. This does NOT count against your 500-600 word count limit and are simply used to better describe the appearance of your monster.
The entire submission, including the monster name and all text within the stat block, must not be fewer than 500 words or exceed 600 words. The “art direction” section of the monster stat block does not count against your submission word count limit. The submission form includes a live preview to view what your monster will look like, and will give you a total word count for your monster.
How to Enter
- Create an account on the RPG Superstar website.
- Create and save a monster utilzing the guidelines outlined in the contest rules.
- Any monsters you create and save will appear in the My Monsters! section.
- When you are ready to submit your monster to the contest, click on the Submit To Contest button on the monster page and accept the terms. NOTE: if your monster is not between 500-600 words in length, it cannot be submitted to the contest.
- Your monster will be submitted and have the status as Sumbitted in your My Monsters! section.
- When public voting begins, and your monster is a valid monster, it will be shown to the public for the first voting round of the contest.
- If your monster is selected for the top entries after initial public voting, it will move onto the next round and private judge voting, and you will be contacted by email.
- Once final judge voting is complete, the winning monster entries will be announced.
- Good luck!
Submissions may be disqualified for the following reasons:
- Submission includes any personally identifying information such as name, avatar name, address, phone number, and so on in the submission itself. All monsters will be presented to judges anonymously.
- Submission is less than 500 words or exceeds 600 words.
- Submission does not conform to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Second Edition format.
- Submission is copied from a previously published source.
- Submission uses rules, monsters, or copyrighted material from publishers, including Paizo.
How to Enter
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. To enter, submit an original monster using the format shown in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook Second Edition (this format is available free on the Gamemastery Guide Monster and Hazard Creation PDF). More specific details are in the Open Call Rules. The entry period begins at 12:00 PM Eastern time on September 27, 2021, and ends at 11:59 PM Eastern time on December 7, 2021. Entries must be submitted through the My Monsters page at https://rpgsuperstar.com/creatures/my. Contestants must have an account on rpgsuperstar.com to enter the contest — visit https://rpgsuperstar.com/users/sign_up to set up a free account. Entries will not be accepted by mail, e-mail, telephone, fax, or any other method. There are no exceptions to this requirement. Incomplete entries, entries over the word limit, and entries not conforming to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Second Edition will be disqualified. All entries become the property of Skyscraper Studios, Inc. Skyscraper Studios, Inc. is not responsible for lost entries.
Private RPG Superstar Judge voting on the top entries, as selected by public voting, begins at 12:00 AM Eastern time January 31, 2022 and ends at 11:59 PM Eastern time on March 7, 2022.
- The contest is open to the general public, with the following exceptions: Employees or contractors of Skyscraper Studios, Inc., Roll For Combat, or RPG Superstar, their immediate family members, and persons with whom such employees are domiciled are ineligible. Employees of Paizo, their immediate family members, and persons with whom such employees are domiciled are ineligible. Anyone who has been employed full-time as a designer for a game company is ineligible. Anyone with a cover credit on a hardcover RPG book is ineligible. Anyone who has a design credit in 3 or more of Paizo's Pathfinder products is ineligible.
- Contestants must provide their real legal names and contact information on their rpgsuperstar.com accounts. Legal identification must be produced on request. If the contestant wins, they will be given the opportunity to change how their name appears in the final book.
- 3 entries per person. Anyone found submitting more than 3 entries will be disqualified and any prizes won will be immediately forfeited.
- By entering this contest, the contestant authorizes the use, without additional compensation, of his or her name, likeness, voice, photograph, and municipality of residence for promotion and/or advertising purposes in any manner and in any medium (including, without limitation, radio broadcasts, newspapers, and other publications, and in television or film releases, slides, videotape, distribution over the internet and picture data storage) which Skyscraper Studios, Inc. may deem appropriate.
- By entering this contest, contestant agree that they may be selected to participate in portions of the contest that include public discussion and public voting. Contestants agree that while Skyscraper Studios, Inc. has guidelines for online conduct, the contestant will indemnify and hold blameless Skyscraper Studios, Inc. and all of its affiliates, judges, participants, and customers for any comments, discussion, or other communication pertaining to the contest.
- During public voting rounds, contestants are prohibited from any public discussion that could be considered as adding to, expanding upon, or clarifying the content of their current submissions. This applies to (but is not limited to) interviews, personal blogs, and messageboard posts on paizo.com or elsewhere. Any such discussion may result in disqualification, in the sole discretion of the judges and/or Skyscraper Studios, Inc.
- Contestants must agree to the submission agreement found on the submission form during the entry period.
- All monsters submitted to the RPG Superstar™ contest will be owned by Skyscraper Studios, Inc.
- The prize for all categories is the opportunity for their monster to appear in Roll For Combat Battlezoo Bestiary Strange & Unusual or similar product. The winner must sign a contract to write and finalize their monster for acceptance by Skyscraper Studios, Inc. The final monster must be written in the English language, following the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Second Edition rules set, and must be written with proper spelling and grammar. All winners must fulfill his or her obligation to write a monster acceptable to Skyscraper Studios, Inc. before getting paid for this work and receiving the remainer of their prizes. Winning the RPG Superstar™ contest does not guarantee the winner payment or any prizes if he or she doesn't fulfill the obligation to write the monster or can't deliver a monster that meets Skyscraper Studios, Inc.'s quality standards.
- In accepting a prize, the winner or finalist acknowledges that Skyscraper Studios, Inc. may not be held liable for any loss, damage, or injury associated with accepting this prize.
- Skyscraper Studios, Inc. retains the right, in its absolute and sole discretion, to make substitutions of equivalent kind or approximate value to the winner's or finalist's prize in the event of the unsuitability of any part of the prize for any reason whatsoever.
- Approximate value of each prize package is subject to the word count of the final commissioned monster along with any additional items awarded to the winner.
- This contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws where applicable.
- Skyscraper Studios, Inc. reserves the right to withdraw or terminate this contest at any time without prior notice.
- The winner and finalists are responsible for any local, state, and federal taxes owed due to their participation in this contest.
Decisions of Skyscraper Studios, Inc. and the contest judges are final.